Many of us rely on our vehicle to get us from point A to point B, and it’s a habit that is hard to break. Do your body and the environment a favor by using alternative transportation! You’ll probably end up saving money too.
Use this list of suggestions to choose ways to accomplish your challenge, and don’t forget to tell your friends and family about the ways you are achieving your EcoChallenge!
For my EcoChallenge action(s), I will:
- Bike or walk for errands within 1 mile of my house or work.
- Minimize car trips by “chaining” together errands or by running errands on the way to/from work, instead of making separate trips.
- Commit to 3 car-free days each week
- Cut out the commute: I’ll work from home occasionally and bypass the commute entirely.
- Try a virtual meeting: instead of traveling for business, set up a video conference
- Use human powered transportation for the entire 14 days of the EcoChallenge
- Examine the vehicles used by my company. Advocate for car pooling and fuel efficient vehicles.
- Other challenge (of my choosing)
- Check all the great transport links at Vital Communities
- The latest resources on biking in the US
- Use Google Maps to get transit and bike directions
- Use Walk Score to figure out what amenities are available in your neighborhood
- In the market for a new or used car? Include fuel efficiency in your research
- Info on how to get “plug-in ready”, if you’re considering purchasing an electric vehicle